Our student-staffed Research Council has been brainstorming about the most critical issues facing the space community on an international level. We identified the following five issues as the most pressing (in order of importance). Do you agree?
1. The definition of the “peaceful use” of outer space and the limits of militarization.
2. The (il)legality of kinetic ASAT tests under the Article IX obligation to operate with due regard.
3. The establishment of “safety zones” and the sharing of information regarding lunar activities to avoid interference.
4. The regulation of satellite mega-constellations in low Earth orbit.
5. The allocation of natural resources and the establishment of a system for priority rights to in situ resources.